www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newly-discovered poems by Robert Graves?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
notarius
bard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Newly-discovered poems by Robert Graves? Reply with quote

Just recently someone wrote to me from Barcelona enclosing a Robert Graves poem, "The Daffodils" that had been written at Islip in Easter 1924 for the sender's mother. It's an attractive composition that was apparently written spontaneously at one sitting. It is not included in Penguin's recent "Complete Poems" and is apparently a new addition to the Graves Canon. I hope to reproduce the poem in the next issue of "Gravesiana" but do not publish it here for copyright and ownership reasons.

Quite separately, I have just found a reference to a Robert Graves poem "A Country Mood" that also does not appear in the "Complete Poems." I have not yet obtained the text of this poem, but the bibliographic details are:

Squire, J.C., editor: THE MERCURY BOOK, BEING SELECTIONS FROM I AND II OF THE LONDON MERCURY, MADE BY H.C.M.M.
London: Williams & Norgate, Ltd, 1926. First edition. Includes "A Country Mood," by [Robert] Graves.

I thought that readers of these bulletin boards may be interested in news of these two "new" poems and, indeed, may well know of others that have not yet been included in the "Complete Poems." It seems that there could be more from the 1920s period, in particular.

PatrickV

Last edited by notarius on Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
notarius
bard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Previously unknown poem by Robert Graves? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I posted a message about a poem "The Daffodils" that appeared to be previously unknown to Graves scholars. It does not appear in the newly-published "Complete Poems" by Penguin. The unveiling of a possible new poem by Graves seemed interesting to me.

The owner of the poem has just telephoned me to ask if I had found any information about it. I had to tell him that I'd contacted several Graves experts, but so far had received no news from anyone, despite several promises.

Any information that anyone can bring themselves to produce would be appreciated.

Let's get a grip on this and send the owner a decent reply; either through these pages or direct to me, [url]pjvilla@aol.com[/url], if you like. But let's do it!

All best wishes

PatrickV
ian
bard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could check some of the text of the poem?

Is it possible that Graves retitled the poem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
notarius
bard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Newly-discovered poems by Robert Graves? Reply with quote

The first lines of the poem are:

"When April comes, her daffodils come too |
With yellow trumpet throats to blow Spring music through, |"

These and the title were checked against the new "Complete Poems" (Penguin edition) some time ago, with no luck. I've now also checked most of the keywords in the poem in the online version of the Complete Poems at Chadwyck-Healey's Liteature Online (www.lion.chadwyck.co.uk, available through many universities, colleges and schools: an Athens or other password is required), but this did not produce any trace or obvious clues either. In fact there is more than one word in the poem that does not appear in any of Graves's other poems.

In a way, I think that answers the question, unless anyone reading these pages has seen this or a similar poem somewhere before. The owner of the poem has confirmed that his mother would have been a young child at the time, so I think we can conclude that it was written spontaneously for her (and to celebrate Easter) during a family gathering at Graves's landlord's house, or at World's End.

One for the next edition of Graves's Complete Poems?

PatrickV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Poetry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: