www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Kerry and Robert Graves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notarius
bard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: John Kerry and Robert Graves Reply with quote

The following extracts from an interview published yesterday (19 February) in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, GA, USA), with historian Douglas Brinkley, author of a new book Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War, reveal a strong interest by the 'Man-who-might-be-President' in the poets of World War One and particularly Robert Graves:

Q: Do you think Kerry personifies how complicated people's feelings are about Vietnam, and about war in general?

A: One of the fascinating things about his diaries is that here's a young man, in his 20s, talking about [World War I poets] Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke and Robert Graves, whom he particularly loved. He had read all of Hemingway and could quote from T.S. Eliot's "The Wasteland." He was very aware of the so-called Lost Generation literature of World War I, and was infatuated with the anti-war soldier poets.

Q: Do you think Kerry will be the Democratic candidate for president?

A: Yes.

Q: Could he beat President Bush?

A: I don't know. I think it's going to be a very vicious campaign. You know, Kerry's a prosecuting attorney. When you punch him, he punches back harder. We haven't seen that in a Democrat for a while.

For the full interview see: http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/books/0204/20kerry.html.

Or click one of the links here to order the book itself from
Amazon.com
or Amazon.co.uk

Patrick Villa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: