www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian
bard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: New Server Reply with quote

I apologise for the time the server has been down. On the 9th of November, the Graves Trust server that runs these pages began behaving strangely. By the end of the day, it was no longer responding. The IT officer at St John's College tried to revive the machine but the problem looked terminal.

I decided to catch a flight on the morning of the 11th to see what needed to be done to save "deya" as the server is known. Sadly, it seems that the last 5 years of nearly uninterrupted service had proved too much for the machine. The last two years where it hadn't even been powercycled had probably been its swan song. After spending a few hours trying to resuscitate the machine and even buying a new hard disk for it, it became clear that it had suffered too much damage and the only solution was to buy a replacement server.

As of about midday on the 12th, the new Deya is up and running. It's faster and has more storage capacity than the old server and will, I hope, prove to be as useful and dependable as its predecessor.

A few of the site features are not yet back online - notably the photo galleries - but these problems will be resolved shortly.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you find anything awry.

Happy surfing,

Ian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: