www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading list suggestions solicited.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Nelson
rhymer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reading list suggestions solicited. Reply with quote

Hello Robert Graves enthusiasts:

While I first discovered Mr. Graves and his translations as an undergraduate, I have only recently come to appreciate his works of fiction and non-fiction.

Earlier this year I read and relished "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God." This weekend I finished "Goodbye to All That", and enjoyed every word. I would now request of those more familiar with his works some suggestions as to where I should be turning my attentions next.

To help tailor your suggestions, I should mention that I have read his translations during my latin studies, and equally enjoy both fiction and non-fiction works.

Any assistance you, learned colleagues, could provide would be much appreciated.

--Jay Nelson
ian
bard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest reading Count Belisarius and King Jesus. They're very different books but both employ similar narrative techniques to those used by Graves in the Claudius books.

Plus, if you're reading King Jesus, you'll find that you can pitch in with some rather interesting comments for any discussions about The Passion or The DaVinci Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ed Brading
rhymer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Ian's comment about King Jesus. For all the talk in the media about The Da Vinci Code, I am always surprised that no reporter or book reviewer even mentions King Jesus. King Jesus is well-written, and Graves's speculations are fascinating.

A Graves book that did not grab me was They Hanged My Saintly Billy. I found the book hard to follow and not all that interesting.

Aside from the two Claudius novels, my personal favorite of his novels is Watch the North Wind Rise. (I think the title may be different in the U. K.) It is as good as any novel of fantasy or science fiction that one could read, and there is a good bit of dark humor.

The best short story I have ever read, by any writer, is Graves's "The Shout." I am not that fond of Graves's other short stories, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: