www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Uneasy Chair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> The White Goddess
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tami Whitehead
poet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: The Uneasy Chair Reply with quote

In digging around here and there, I have continued to search for some of those key phrases in the Hanes Taleisan, with an eye towards confirming, refuting, or expanding Graves' theories on these...anyhow, without limited success.

I had puzzled over the Uneasy Chair in line 18, not quite content with Graves' 'caer sidri' explanation. Then, in looking up another unrelated bit of minutae, I came across a chapter in a book by Tanith Lee, and the Chapter was called, The Chair of Uncertainty.

Briefly, the chair belonged to an evil king that had blasphemously equated himself with the gods. Any might come to king, and sit at his table in that chair, and was feasted with dainty dishes and fine wine. Afterwards, the king would reward or punish each man as he fancied, and not according to their station or deeds. A good man may be beaten or beheaded, and a thieving scoundrel go away with 'his cap full of emeralds.' At length, of course, on comes to sit in the chair who is quite above the king, and the king is rewarded for his hubris...

Anyhow, this has the definate smacking of straight myth, from somewhere, and I feel I almost have my finger on it...isn't it rather like Theseus and the Uneasy Bed?? Is there some varient of this, perhaps in Welsh or Celtic myth, but maybe not??

Comments and insights are needed, please!

Tami
Tami Whitehead
poet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Seige Perilous Reply with quote

Hey all. It has been suggested in another forum that the Uneasy Chair may refer to the Seige Perilous, or that the two are related in folklore. Has anyone heard this, or have some ideas??

Tami
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> The White Goddess All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: